The Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith Family Association is offering annual scholarships to college, high school and junior high students who are planning to attend college or similar institution.
Up to $1,000
Deadline is July 1, 2018
How learning about the values and sacrifices of Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith’s family can help me and my family honor their legacy.
Applicants do not need to be Smith Family descendants to enter. For more details go to https://josephsmithsr.org/scholarship/.
Inside the Smith family home in 1818, which was their second home in Palmyra.
- The reconstruction is located on the site of the original.
- The eight witnesses saw the golden plates in a grove near the log home.
- Joseph’s first visit from Angel Moroni was here.
- Joseph lived here at the time of the First Vision which occurred in the woods behind the home.
“Dreaming of a Heavenly Home”
Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith Family Reunion
August 2-5, 2018
Click on the above registration link or use: https://josephsmithsr.org/reunion/registration/.
You can look forward to:
- Thursday night registration will be held in the lobby of the Church Office Building.
- Friday morning, we will have a family gathering at the Conference Center’s Little Theater. The afternoon will be open for individual family groups to take tours and enjoy time together. In the evening we will have a family dinner in the lobby of the Conference Center. This is a unique opportunity to sit down and enjoy a meal together as one large happy family group. A devotional will be held after the dinner in the Conference Center’s Little Theater.
- Saturday, we will have our service project, family memorial and photo, and a picnic lunch at This Is The Place Heritage Park at 2601 East Sunnyside Ave. There will be free time in the afternoon to enjoy This Is The Place Heritage Park. Saturday evening, we have a family meeting in downtown Salt Lake at the Assembly Hall.
Then of course we will have our last gathering attending Music and the Spoken Word on Sunday.
The Spring Family Newsletter Is Here
We had an unfortunate mix up on the database and we are sorry for the confusion with the newsletter mailing. You may have received someone else’s name to your address. We apologize for the error. We hope you understand that we won’t be able to resend the newsletter.
The pattern used on the cover of the newsletter was taken from a shawl that belonged to Lucy Mack Smith under the design work of Danielle Maddox.
We have attached a copy of the Spring Newsletter to this email blast. You can also view this information here: https://josephsmithsr.org/newsletter/2010-2019/spring-2018/.
Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith Family Association Is Working with Sleep In Heavenly Peace
The Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith Family Association is working with Sleep In Heavenly Peace for our summer’s service project. Sleep In Heavenly Peace was featured this month on a program called Returning The Favor. Please watch this clip https://www.facebook.com/ReturningTheFavor/videos/2020109721593621/ and see why their team stopped by Twin Falls, Idaho to meet Luke Mickelson who started Sleep in Heavenly Peace, an organization whose mission is to ensure that no child in their town ever has to sleep on the floor.
Or contribute by mail with checks or money orders to:
Joseph Smith Sr. Family Association
c/o Frances Orton
381 W 3700 N
Provo, UT 84604
Make a notation on the check: Sleep In Heavenly Peace.
From the writer of Singing with Angels and the Joseph Smith Jr. and Emma Hale Smith Historical Society, this new movie is coming to theaters June 1 in Utah. For other areas, please send us a request. See the trailer below!
After the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, Jr., his wife Emma Hale Smith was left with much to shoulder: salvaging Joseph’s estate, the safety of her family, her own grief, and growing isolation as danger and rumors increased. Through the eyes of one of her sons and Lucy Mack Smith, Emma’s struggles are shown with new light and understanding, revealing a courageous woman who stood as a pillar of strength for her family.
Send us your request for where you would like to see the movie, and see what areas we are already planning to show In Emma’s Footsteps!