The Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith Family Organization is composed of representatives for each branch of Father Smith’s family acting in behalf of their independent family organizations. Our chief objectives are to increase the public’s awareness of and access to important historical sites, to conduct research and service projects related to such public access, and to provide the general public with scholarships and other educational opportunities. These activities are meant to honor and sustain the character of Father Smith’s family and to heighten the public’s awareness of the family’s contributions to society. In pursuit of these goals we are organized to accomplish the following:
- Research and compile genealogical data about the Smith family and make it available to any interested members of the public.
- Maintain mailing lists for anyone (including members of the public) who wish to benefit society by encouraging connections with the values and teachings of those who have gone before.
- Research, create, and preserve family histories; identify, catalog, and preserve family artifacts, and make all such histories, catalogs, and artifacts freely available for viewing by members of the public.
- Publish family newsletters, and make surveys, histories and other family memorabilia available to the public.
- Reach and encourage all members of the public to learn and value the Smith family’s contributions to society through firesides, service projects, activities, electronic media, publications, books, and mementos.
- Preserve, improve, and provide care for historical sites as practical, wherever they may be.
- Maintain family organization funding to facilitate the Association’s public education and outreach goals, including yearly family dues.
- Maintain media and public outreach on our history, activities, objectives and contributions.